Wednesday 1 September 2010

¡España!

My recent holiday to Spain has been hugely influential on my summer project. People there don't seem to be afraid of vibrant and dazzling colours; they use them everywhere! One of my favourite nights was when we went to a street festival; the costumes the performers were wearing were amazing, they were so extravagant and complex and they just kept coming. There must have been at least 50 groups of performers and all of the costumes were completely different.



We also visited a mountain village called Guadalest which, from a distance, looks quite muted. But hidden away on side streets are an array of quirky shops, all stuffed full of colourful and exciting trinkets. There also seemed to be a lot home-ware items which had been decorated in the most stunning colours and patterns. One of my favourite shops had hundreds of items covering the shop frontage. It was like a bejeweled entrance to Aladdin's cave! In the shop was an amazing cabinet; it was huge and had 9 square drawers, each of which had its own beautiful hand painted pattern.



As the Lady of Shalott is bright and visually exciting, I've taken inspiration from Spain and really centred my project around colour. I've mainly played with the image of the Lady and tried to rework the colours in different ways. I'll post some pictures in the next day or so to show you what I mean!



No comments:

Post a Comment